On March 14, 1924, a City photographer documented the bridges at two entrances to the neighborhood. Above, the 28th Street Bridge, looking towards Polish Hill, which is obscured by puffs of steam from passing trains on the Pennsylvania Railroad. Below, the view to the north, as seen from the Brereton Street side of the bridge. (Click on photos to see them bigger).
The bridge in these pictures was built in 1908, and was replaced with the current structure in 1931. The bridge was rehabilitated in 1974 and is currently long overdue for some repairs.
And from the same day, the Herron Avenue Bridge. Here, looking towards Polish Hill, with the Iron City Brewery smokestack and the brewery buildings on the left.
The Herron Avenue Briege fron the Polish Hill side, with the steam from the trains mixing with the smog from the mills. Maybe it’s just a wide-angle lens, but this looks so much wider than the present-day bridge. The railings are nicer, too. It would be fun to re-install these speed limit signs at the neighborhood entrances, both as a nod to the past and to remind drivers to slow down.
(Photos from the Historic Pittsburgh Image Archive)
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.